If you are planning on spending some time enjoying our beautiful waterways during the holiday season then Santa says please consider the following:
1. Ensure you have the correct safety equipment applicable to your type of vessel, number of passengers, and area of operation. Remember: flares only last for three years from the date they were manufactured.
2. Alcohol and water doesn’t mix and .05 applies when operating a recreational vessel on the water.
3. Make sure your registration and licence are current to avoid hefty fines.
4. Check the weather before you depart.
5. Tell someone where you are planning on going and when you are expecting to return (Coast Guard or VMR).
6. Have your vessel checked over by a reputable service centre; and
7. Test the operation of your EPIRB as per the manufacturer’s instructions and ensure the AMSA registration details are still current.
Finally, make yourself familiar with the legislative requirements in regards to the correct navigational lights to display for your type of vessel during times of restricted visibility and between sun down and sun up.